Dating Apps: What are they actually used for?
Published: 22nd June, 2021
If there was something we've learnt from the pandemic, it's to incorporate virtual and digital technologies into our lives even further. Building a personal relationship or having the chance to meet new people online was no exception to that either.
Based on that, it's no surprise that there's been a significant growth as far as online dating is concerned since dating apps as well as dating sites are currently booming. As an example, if you type "what are the best free online dating apps" in Google, you will see a plethora of suggestions coming up. If you don't believe us, check it out for yourself!
Firstly, let's look at the difference between an application and a website
An application is a program which can be downloaded onto a user's device. On the other hand, a website is adapted to a user's device's format whether that's a mobile or laptop etc.
When it comes to online dating, a common assumption is that a lot of people favor dating apps, because they offer an element of extra privacy. However both have their pros and cons. So, let's go through some of them to see which is the best choice for you!
Dating Apps Pros and Cons
The purpose of having an app, regardless if it's for online dating or not, is to make the user's experience easier and more efficient in general. Most dating apps are actually free to download and very easy to use. They are great to chat and communicate with, and as mentioned above, they also offer extra privacy when doing so.
So what are the basic advantages of using a dating application?
- They’re efficient and faster to use
- You can use them anywhere - anytime
- Instantly receive notifications to stay in the loops with any potential matches
- Perfect for introverts or people who like to avoid crowded places
- You are able to see your mutual friends
And what about the disadvantages?
- Due to the simple interface and features, it may be harder to find people who share similar interests and values
- A lot of apps require you to log in using your social media, to ensure authenticity
- Other users are aware of your location / area
Dating Sites Pros and Cons
Using a dating site doesn’t differ much from using a dating app. Actually a lot of people enjoy sitting at the comfort of their own homes, chatting to a potential date whilst laying on their sofa watching their favourite TV show. Also, funnily enough, typing messages through a computer seems much less complicated than doing so through a mobile phone.
But like anything in this world, there are always pros and cons, so let's take a look at the ones that apply to dating sites.
Which can be the pros of using a dating site?
- Your specific location is not visible, so it adds and element of safety
- Higher chances of matching with like minded people due to the advanced search features
- You have the ability to search for potential partners instead of being automatically matched
- No need to upload or install any specific programs to use it
And are there any cons?
- More complex search features, especially if using on a mobile device
- You lost the element of extra privacy when using a dating site
- Not convenient if you’re short on time or travel a lot
So, which one should I choose?
To be honest, it all depends on your circumstances and your daily routines! As an example, if you are a working-from-home type of person or a full-time parent, you may not necessarily need to download a dating app. Moreover, if you’re only interested in using online dating platforms during the evenings or just on the weekends, then it seems that a dating website would be the best bet for you.
On the other hand, if you're a frequent traveller or a professional who is constantly on the move, then you would probably favour a dating app, as it will provide you full flexibility as far as online dating goes, disregarding what time it is or which part of the world you find yourself in.
It doesn’t only matter what type of person you are or what your profession is, depending on what you're looking for will also determine which platform you should be using.
As an example, if you're looking for a long term or serious relationship, it's probably best to use dating sites as they offer extra search features. On the flip side to that, if you're looking for friends with benefits or no strings attached encounters, then dating apps may be the solution for you.
I think it’s fair to say that with more than 60% of single adults in the UK using online dating, especially since the lockdowns began, dating sites or dating apps are generally safe to use.
The stigma that used to be around finding love online, has started to fade away some time ago now.
At the end of the day, whatever platform you choose, just make sure you are using it in a safe and wise way. More importantly, make sure to have lots of fun and we hope you find the person of your dreams, whether that's a serious relationship or just an NSA meetup.